Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thoughts on "Standing Firm"

Over the past week I have had to come face to face with the ugliness of one of my major character flaws: inconsistency. This is not the first time I have had to look this creature square in the face.
I have come to the conclusion that there are 7 "No Matter Whats" that I need to do every day ... no matter what. I will not list them here - for mine would be different from yours. I just know that when I do these 7 things CONSISTENTLY on a daily basis that my life is full of purpose and lasting joy - in spite of my circumstances.
On May 1 I read an article from the monthly magazine that I receive from In Touch Ministries that made a big impact on me. In fact, I have gone back and re-read this article several times in the past week.
You can read the full article by clicking on this link:

Standing Firm When Life Takes You By Surprise
(Click on the Magazine tab at the top of the webpage)

Here is the part that hit me square in the face:

"Worry, doubt and fear lead to one thing - sin."

Whoa! That's not what I was expecting the author to say. I had to re-read that sentence again!

"Worry, doubt and fear lead to one thing - sin."

Dr. Stanley goes on to say, "Each one of these has the powerful potential to prevent us from obeying God. They have the capacity to keep us wrapped up in our thoughts, feelings and inabilities. The Lord has admonished us to do two things - to trust Him and walk by faith.

I had to honestly ask myself, "What is the first thing that I do when I feel overwhelmed or threatened?"

Do I ...
  • Call a friend
  • Write about it on Facebook (some of you know what I mean!)
  • Hide - i.e. sleep, play a game online, read a book, etc. etc.
  • Cry and cry some more
  • Rant and rave to anyone that will listen
The list could go on and on ... OR do I immediately turn to PRAYER?

Stop, drop and PRAY Then Walk by FAITH

The author encourages us to follow David's example in I Samuel 30:
  • He did not allow fear to overwhelm him
  • He ignored threats from those around him
  • He quickly turned to the Lord in prayer
  • He acted on his faith and did what God told him to do

This article is well worth the time it takes to read ... and read again. I hope you will find hope and encouragement. I know that I did.

No comments: