Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where Strength Begins


One year ago I completed Parts 1, 2 & 3 of The Road. (www.theroadadventure.org) This was literally a life-changing experience for me. I experienced true freedom for the first time in my life. I changed my profile picture on Facebook to "The Phoenix". This was the name of our group. I am not too keen on mythology but I love the story and it's the perfect symbol of a life that has been reborn.


A phoenix is a mythical bird with a colourful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple, blue, and green according to some legends[1]). It has a 500 to 1,000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of myrrh twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again. The new phoenix is destined to live as long as its old self. In some stories, the new phoenix embalms the ashes of its old self in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis (sun city in Greek).

Isaiah 61:3
To grant those who mourn in Zion,
Giving them a garland instead of ashes,
The oil of gladness instead of mourning,
The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting
So they will be called oaks of righteousness,
The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.

While on my walk this morning I was listening to one of my favorite Phillips, Craig & Dean CD's. The song "Where Strength Begins" really hit home with me. Now, I've had this CD for at least 10 years and I've listened to it hundreds of times ... but for some reason, God just reached down and said, "Hey YOU! Rise up!" I am truly rising up (AGAIN) from the ashes.

Here are the words:

Here I sit with this cup of life in front of me
I see it's full but I'm afraid to drink
Because I've tried and I've missed the mark
so many times
I can't forget all the hurt inside

But rising up from the ashes
of these memories
I reach for a hand to save me
And I hear Him Calling

Walk on
Til fear turns to faith and faith becomes sight
Where strength begins
You've got to press on
Move on through the pain
move on to the place
Where weakness ends
Where strength begins

No comments: