Monday, May 19, 2008

Forgiven, Fearless and Free

Wholeness can be defined as an undivided or unbroken completeness or totality with nothing wanting.
For the first time in my life, I feel “whole”.
How did this happen? I remember vividly when I began my search for wholeness. It was in the summer of 1992. It was at that time that I began to question the foundations of my “religion”. Please understand, I am not saying that I questioned my faith or my God … I just began to question how my faith was being lived out in the real world.
I encountered true worship for the first time that summer. I began to hear about others who were experiencing God in a new, more intimate way. It was something I wanted – something I longed for – to experience God in a more personal and vital relationship. And so began my journey to wholeness …
As I became increasingly dissatisfied with my “religious routine” I also became disillusioned with the way that the church was dealing with hurting broken people. It seemed like church, as I knew it, was more like a social club than a hospital for sick people. I felt alone and isolated because of my “questioning”.
At the same time, I grew more and more miserable on the inside. Something was missing. Something had always been missing. I see now that I had been defining my worth by what I did.

When I was a child, I thought I’d be happy as long as I had a best friend. I wasn’t.
As I grew older, I thought I’d be happy as long as I had a best friend and a boyfriend. I wasn’t.
In high school, I just knew that I would be happy once I got my driver’s license and a job. I wasn’t.
At age 14, I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. I was assured of my salvation and going to heaven. But to me, my relationship with God was based upon what I did (or didn’t do). There was still something missing.
At some time during my junior year in high school, I thought that if I could just graduate high school and get married … THEN I would be happy. I still wasn’t.
I graduated in November of my senior year and got married in December of that same year. As you have heard me say, I wasn’t pregnant … just stupid. I was happy … for a while. But that happiness didn’t last.
Shortly after we married, I lost 60 pounds – I was SURE that would make me happy! But it didn’t.
I got involved in ministry at the church. Still not happy.
Then … I thought if I could just have a baby – I would be happy. And happy I was! The birth of my children were two of the most happy events of my life. But that happiness didn’t last either.
I continued a vicious cycle of trying to earn approval from both people and God through what I did or did not do. My life was a constant striving to be better … to change … to finally be content with my life. But I wasn’t!
In 1997, after a period of illness and a serious bout with depression, I became convinced that the problem was ME. I thought I would finally be happy if I divorced my husband of almost 19 years. So I did … and I wasn’t.
At some point during the time I was going through my divorce, it is if I divided into two pieced. Just lovely – here I was, not a “whole” person to begin with … separating in to two different pieces. Now – I don’t mean that I had a split personality. What I mean is that it is like I was two different people – the person I was the first 36 years of my life (pre-divorce) and the person I became after my divorce. Neither person was whole.
Over the past 11 years, I have continued my quest for happiness .. for wholeness.
My quest included a second, brief marriage that ended in divorce; multiple relationships with men that I just knew were “the one” (including sexually relationships) … an endless search for love and acceptance.
Still not happy … still not whole.
I was bound by fear, guilt, and shame.
In 2004 I found myself at an all time low and found myself attending something called “Celebrate Recovery.” This was definitely a step in the right direction. Over the last 4 years I have been working through the 12 steps of Christian recovery to help me gain victory over depression, co-dependency, love & relationship addiction, food addiction, grief and guilt. I found out that one of my core problems is not that I needed a man to love me – but I needed to love myself!
It’s funny … a dear friend had told me that about 10 years earlier. But I didn’t think it was true!
And so … I discovered a lot about myself, formed some incredible close friendships with women in CR and found victory in the area of sexual purity.
But guess what? I was still miserable inside. I still continued to seek out love in all the wrong places.
Over the past 3 weeks I have been going through a program called “The Road Adventure”. This past Saturday, while attending Part 2, I experienced something that was life-changing. I finally became whole again. It was truly a miraculous moment that I cannot begin to explain here. All I can say is that, somehow, through God’s mercy and grace, the “old” Suzanne and the present Suzanne merged into one complete whole woman. I know who I am. I am learning to love myself. I look at myself in a whole different light when I look in the mirror. I ask God daily to help me see myself through His eyes.
I realize that all these years, I wasn’t seeking happiness after all. I was seeking WHOLENESS.
I am finally at peace with God and with myself. My past is in the past and it’s there to stay.
I am forgiven, fearless and free.

1 comment:

Sharp Girl said...

Wow, Suzanne. I love to read stories like this. I gave my life to the Lord back in the fall of 1994...and in early 1995, He delivered me from alcohol, cigarettes and sexual impurity. In December of 1995, I became engaged after my first date with my (now) husband. We have been married since May 1996. We have a total of 5 children and have been thru MANY trials....all of which God has shown His faithfulness and provision.

I am blessed beyond belief, and God is the answer to every question in life! I am so glad to hear that you have found Him and that your life is now surrendered to the Lorship of Jesus Christ.

I'd like to recommend one excellent book that I picked up recently. It's called "Discovering Your God-given Gifts" by Bob & Katie Fortune. You can find it online at amazon.com or in the store at Mardel. It might help you further discover who you are in Christ....and it may give you some direction as to how God can use you according to the gifts He wove into your DNA at conception!

God bless you, girl! I hope to be able to meet up with you sometime to share stories. I love fellowshiping with other believers.

Take care, and God bless.

Kim (Reynolds) Sharp
(I'm on facebook too, and I sent you a friend request.)