Monday, September 10, 2007

In my opinion ...

I want to share with you the email that I sent to Fox News today ...
Your website is my primary source for news. In general, I find your new reporting the most fair and balanced in the market.
However, on more than one occasion I have been bothered by the "suggestive" photos that are posted on your website in the name of advertisement and entertainment.
But today you have reached the limit! The photos of Britney Spears in her UNDERWEAR on the HOME PAGE of your website are borderline pornographic and the story accompanying the pictures only helps to spread the "lie" that a woman's body has to be perfect in order to be considering appealing, pretty or even beautiful in our American society.
There are epidemic numbers of men (and women) in this United States who are addicted to porn. It is almost impossible to avoid pornographic materials these days - whether it is on cable TV or magazine covers in the corner store.
Photos such as the ones posted on the Home page of foxnews.com today can "trigger" impulses in men and women that are trying to conquer their addictions. It's not even safe to check the NEWS online now without being subjected to women in their underwear.
I am not ultra-conservative, but I am sensitive to what we are subjecting our children to - do you not think that teenagers and other young people read your Home page?
Not only are the pictures obscene - the headlines and story along with the pictures only perpetuate the image that Hollywood is sending our daughters and nieces about their bodies needing to be perfect. Do you know how many THOUSANDS of women would LOVE to have a body like Britney's? Do you know how many women are out there right now starving themselves because their figure is similar to Britney's - and now they read that she is out of shape and even "fat"!?
This is utterly ridiculous!
Do we really want to be sending this message to the people who are struggling with anorexia and bulimia? Do you have any idea how I, as an "overweight" female", feel after reading articles like this? It's already impossible to meet up to the expectations of the "Hollywood image" for beauty - and now I have to read about it on the Home Page of my favorite and most reliable news source?

What are you thinking?

No comments: